Quotes by Rosalie Kunoth-Monks:
"It's nothing new. It is not only at Utopia, it's throughout the Northern Territory as far as I can see - starvation is a strong word and not used for no reason. It's real"
"I know of two old ladies, although they had the money for food deducted out of their pensions as a prior arrangement, who did not get anything, not a smell of a bone. What else needs to be done? Do people need to lie down and die so others can understand what's happening here is real?"
Koori Mail, Edition 623, 6 April 2016 - Utopia people are starving, claims Elder
'concerned Australians' Media Release 1 April 2016
Rosalie Kunoth-Monks OAM, 2015 NT person of the year and Arrernte-Alyawarra Elder said that Aboriginal people living in remote outstation Utopia are starving.
Elderly First Nations people are starving in remote homelands because they fail to receive nutritious food on a regular basis through a community aged care programme. The programme is funded by the Australian Government and is administered by the regional Council.
This petition is asking the Australian and Northern Territory governments to:
· Address any failures of aged food services and its delivery immediately.
· Undertake an independent investigation into these failures
· Ensure ongoing funding and delivery of nutritious food through aged and community care.
· Ensure closer monitoring of aged food services in remote communities.
· Introduce freight subsidies to help make food more affordable in remote communities.
Improve the general living conditions of First Nations people in their homelands by:…..more at…
For more information on Indigenous issues in the NT go to: www.concernedaustralians.com.au
Interview conducted by Valerie Farfalla on 3CR Monday Breakfast (855 AM) on Monday, 11th April, 2016.